Monday, May 2, 2011

...and more thoughts on the matter....

About an hour after my last post, Ben and I are still watching the news.  We have been talking about it, watching it and reading everyone's comments online.

I know while writing my last blog I was thinking that it was strange that I was feeling proud at the death of Osama. I wanted to say that I couldn't explain the feeling since it does feel weird to celebrate the death of anyone. But I didn't. I can't deny that that was the feeling that came over me (proud/happy), especially in those first few moments of hearing the news and seeing the crowds outside of the White House. I do feel proud that America has had a decidedly clear victory in a difficult war that we have been in for nearly a decade.

As I reflect more on what happened, I also can't deny that some of my initial reactions were ignoring the fact that no matter how evil I think this man was, rejoicing in someone's death is wrong, denying the grace and forgiveness that I have been given by Christ.  I can use the very verse from my last post (Romans 12:19) to remind myself that my thoughts towards Osama and his death do not align with what I am taught by my faith.  So, for this, I apologize.

I do not know what the intentions of the soldiers were when they entered that building, to kill or to capture. I don't know who fired the first shot. While I think his death was a Just ending, it is also a tragedy. A tragedy that he somehow became so twisted that he felt he needed to terrorize and murder thousands of people. A tragedy that he was not alone in his actions, but a symbol of hatred that is revered by many.

Tonight is a historic night for the USA and the world. I am proud to be an American and of this victory in our war efforts. I love my country. As a Christian, however, I am called to "not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your (my) mind." (Romans 12: 2) The rest of Romans 12 is a good reminder right now too.

So there you have it, my initial and slightly less initial response to the breaking news of the evening. take it as you will. I will never claim to be perfect, but I will always be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment