Saturday, May 7, 2011

"This One's for the Mom's..."

With Mother's Day just around the corner (as in tomorrow for those of you who thought you had a few more days to send a card), I'm constantly seeing new profile pictures on my friend's facebook pages. Pictures of them with their mom. I have partaken in this new cultural tradition- you will find that I am not above many of the facebook fads that come along, though I have yet to find a suitable doppleganger for myself (My Mom happens to be the closest thing to a doppleganger that I have! see below)



Side note of a side note aside...It's a good day, Mother's day is. Really, one day a year is not enough to show appreciation for all that mothers do. For example, I know that my mom- depending on what is going on in my life- is either incredibly/overly excited or worried for me, always willing to drop what she is doing to talk to me on the phone (Unless American Idol is on, then I'm limited to commercials) and she also gets so excited when I plan on visiting that I'm pretty sure she loses sleep because of it like a kid on Christmas Eve. When she introduces me and my brother to people they treat us as if they have known us our whole lives because I'm pretty sure that my mom has told them our whole lives' stories.  I'm betting that my mom is not alone in these behaviors so, when you think about it, one must wonder what other human being loves you so unconditionally and so completely that they alone could be the source of all confidence and high self esteem in the world if we just listened solely to their opinions of us.

Whether you are a kid who needs mommy after you fall down, or a teenager who is embarrassed as your mom yells "LOVE YOU KRISSY!! HAVE A GOOD DAY!! LOVE YOU HONEY!!!" as she drops you off at school (wait...your mom didn't do that...hmmm), a college students who is wrapped up in your new found freedom yet still thankful your mom does your laundry when you go home, a young married woman who is thankful for your mom's listening ear, a new mom yourself who is thankful for your mom's wise advice and are just hoping to follow her example, or maybe you are remembering your mom this weekend and just wish you could still pick up the phone and call her, wherever you are in life, make sure you stop this weekend and thank your mom! (yes, I'm aware that this paragraph is all one sentence. It's fine, ask my mom)

And because I, of course, think my mom is wonderful and hilarious, let me take this opportunity to share one example why my mom is awesome...

random/rushed phone calls that go like this:

(real events)
Me: Hey Mom!
Mom: (in a rushed tone) Krissy! what's this from? "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine...."
Me: Finding Nemo
Mom: What scene?
Me: Seagulls on the deck when they are in Sydney....
Mom: Thanks! You're the best! That was driving me crazy! Got to go!!

Another call:
Me: Hey!
Mom: (again, rushed) Krissy! what's this song? it's an old country song, about girls at different ages, like 13...
Me: This One's for the Girls (<- Mom, click here!)
Mom: Who sings it?
Me: Martina McBride
Mom: Your good! thanks! I was going nuts trying to figure that out! got to go!

You make me laugh mom.... :) HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment